Tired of handling a couple of notes in different fields at the same time? The good news is, there is an easier way to go about that. As students, managers, and people of various professions, we are often faced with the demand for writing down key points of information almost daily. Information gotten from different subjects, points we wish to take note of in meetings and conferences, as well as thoughts we want to explore are being written down as notes before they are effectively put together and connected to create an organized piece.
The practice of note-taking may seem unwieldy when it involves carrying a notebook or pieces of paper everywhere. Some pages may get misplaced and it poses stress to skim through to where particular information was written. As such, technology has stepped in to rescue people from such inconvenience by offering laptops with features that make note-taking exciting. There are varieties of laptops that come in handy for note-taking, they are equipped with features like stylus and touch screen technology which enables notes to be handwritten or typed on the laptop.
The benefit of taking notes with gadgets are enormous, this information can easily be accessed and properly backed up to avoid losing important documents. However, choosing the best laptops for note-taking could strike a tricky task as there are lots of devices in vogue. This article will guide you through specifications you should look out for while purchasing gadgets for note-taking, and suggest some laptops that are upheld for being effective in taking notes.
CRITERIA FOR CHOOSING THE BEST LAPTOPS FOR NOTE-TAKING
Laptops considered best for note-taking constitute a blend of portability, solid build, great display quality, and impeccable battery life. The following criteria should be considered when making a choice:
- Portability: Note-taking is a great activity. You need a pocket-friendly device that can handle the demands of keeping track of information. Portability is an essential feature you should consider when choosing laptops for note-taking. Thin and light-weighted laptops can be taken anywhere conveniently.
- Design and Display: Design is another feature that requires consideration when picking the best laptops for note-taking. This ranges from screen size, keyboard design and orientation, graphics strength, and display resolution and quality. A laptop with good screen resolution will display notes in high-quality images which is advantageous when accessing notes that have been taken down.
- Battery Strength: Undoubtedly, a powerful and long-lasting battery is a necessity for any laptop to perform efficiently. Laptops with incredible battery life will always sustain or even outlast work. You need a gadget with a high milliamp-hour rating to handle the vigorous task of taking notes and performing other tasks. Lithium-ion battery laptops are recommended for being lightweight and having effective battery life.
- Stylus Support: Writing with a pen on a laptop is such a welcoming experience. Laptops with stylus support come with features like a digital pen and touch screen for taking notes, creating presentations, and drawing. They are usually convertible or 2-in-1 laptops that can easily be folded or converted into a tablet form and they serve the purpose of both a laptop and a tablet. Convertible laptops are often equipped with a pen (stylus) which is utilized for graphics design, animation, and writing. Most stylus-supported laptops do not come with a built-in pen, thus incurring an extra cost of purchasing one.
- Operating System: Most laptops are powered by an operating system that allows the functioning of the touch screen feature. An operating system like Windows OS, Mac OS, Chrome OS supports touch screen technology.
With all these considerations, a list of some recommended laptops for note-taking can be drafted.
5 BEST LAPTOPS FOR NOTE TAKING
1. DELL LATITUDE 9410
When you think of a laptop with fulfilling battery life, then Dell Latitude 9410 should fall in your line of thought. This device is packed with an efficient battery that earns it nearly 15 hours of battery life. It runs on Windows 10 Pro operating system with a luxurious touchpad and stylus feature.
The 10th generation 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-10610U quad-core processor accounts for its improved performance and built-in security that allows it to handle demanding workloads. As a 2-in-1 laptop, Dell Latitude 9410 possesses firm hinges that can turn 360 degrees allowing the device to be converted into a tablet or propped up for use. It has a display resolution of 1960×1080 pixels with a very responsive touch screen display.
It weighs about 1.36kg which may not make it the lightest of all laptops yet it is still portable and can easily be carried around. Comes with a RAM of 16GB and a solid-state drive of 512GB which boosts its overall performance making it easy to multitask without lagging. It has good connectivity ports comprising of 2 Type-A USB input, a microSD card slot, Type-C USB port, 3.5mm headphone jack, and HDMI port which gives it good transfer speed.
CPU/GPU: Intel Core i7-10610U/ Intel UHD Graphics
Memory: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
Display: 14-inch screen size with a display resolution of 1960×1080 pixels
Weight: 3 pounds
Port: Headphone jack, Sim card slot, microSD card slot, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, two Type-A USB 3.2, one Type-C USB 3.1
- CPU/GPU: Intel Core i7-10610U/ Intel UHD Graphics
- Memory: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
- Display: 14-inch screen size with a display resolution of 1960×1080 pixels
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Port: Headphone jack, Sim card slot, microSD card slot, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, two Type-A USB 3.2, one Type-C USB 3.1
2. HP SPECTRE X360 2-IN-1
If you are looking for a wonderful design with a good dose of external ports for connectivity, then HP Spectre x360 ticks these boxes. The design and screen resolution of the HP Spectre x360 affords it a very sleek and impressive look. It has stunning display features, a screen size of 15.6 inches, and a resolution of 3840×2160 pixels which portrays sharp and vivid display images. This laptop serves a variety of purposes ranging from video streaming, video editing, illustrations, creation of animation, and note-taking.
HP Spectre x360 is recommended as one of the laptops with a unique build quality when it comes to 2-in-1 laptops. The hinges are strong with the all-metal design making it easy to rotate the device. The model comes with a built-in stylus-supported pen, a fast and responsive touchpad.
The laptop shines with an Intel Core i7-8705G processor which gives it incredible performance and multi-tasking ability, a RAM of 16GB, and a 512GB SSD that allows for smooth and fast operation.
All these goodies are wrapped with a weight of about 4.59 pounds which makes it slightly heavy to carry around. It is packed with a 6-cell 84 Wh Li-ion battery that affords it a standby of about 12 hours after a charge but due to its powerful graphics that drains battery life, the battery stays for about 7 hours of continuous consumption.
CPU/GPU: 8th generation 4.16GHz Intel Core i7-8705G/ AMD Radeon 4G dedicated Graphics
Memory: 16GB RAM, 512GB PCle NVMe M.2 SSD
Display: 15.6-inch screen size with a resolution of 3840×2160 pixels
Weight: 4.59 pounds
Battery: 6-cell 84 Wh Li-ion battery
Port: 2×Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-C ports, 1×USB 3.1, HDMI v2.0 port, SD card reader.
- NEWEST 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U + NVIDIA GeForce MX150 (2GB GDDR5 dedicated), Windows 10 Home 64 – Dark Ash Color
- 16 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (2 x 8 GB), 512 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD, HP Wide Vision FHD IR Camera with integrated dual array digital microphone
- 15.6 diagonal 4K IPS eDP micro-edge BrightView WLED-backlit (3840 x 2160), HP Active Stylus and HP Sleeve included.
- Weight: 4.59 pounds Battery: 6-cell 84 Wh Li-ion battery.
3. LG GRAM 14
LG Gram 14 is highly recommended for flexibility and portability. It is a 2-in-1 laptop that can be converted into a tablet for writing, drawing, designing, and photoshop illustration. It offers a 14-inch full HD IPS responsive touch screen display option with a vivid and crisp color display. Another plus is its lightweight, it weighs about 2 5 pounds.
The laptop comes with a stylus pen for note-taking, a fingerprint recognition feature for easy login, and incredible display quality. It is listed as one of the best laptops for note-taking due to its great battery capacity and portability. It is packed with 72 Wh Lithium battery that earns it a runtime of about 10-11 hours.
LG Gram 14 is able to run different tasks very well at the same time due to its 8th generation 1.8GHz Intel Core i7-8565U processor, 16GB RAM, and 512 GB SSD. It has an applaudable ports assortment comprising of two Type-A USB 3.0 ports, a microSD card slot, a USB-C port that can be used for charging, an HDMI output. The device does not have Thunderbolt 3 support which affects its transfer speed.
CPU/GPU: 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U processor/ Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620.
Memory: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
Display: 14-inch screen size with 1920×1080 display resolution.
Weight: 2.5 pounds
Battery: 72Wh Lithium battery
Port: USB-C ethernet adapter, a pair of USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI output.
- CPU/GPU: 8th Generation Intel Core i7-8565U processor/ Integrated Intel HD Graphics 620
- Memory: 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD
- Display: 14-inch screen size with 1920×1080 display resolution.
- Weight: 2.5 pounds
- Battery: 72Wh Lithium battery
- Port: USB-C ethernet adapter, a pair of USB-C ports, two USB-A ports, HDMI output.
4. GOOGLE PIXELBOOK GO
This is an amazing laptop for taking notes due to its durability and responsiveness. It has a built-in security chip that enhances data protection. It is a convertible laptop equipped with an excellent keyboard, LCD touch screen technology, and stylus support.
I give this laptop a thumbs up for portability, it weighs about 2.3 pounds with a thickness of 13.4mm. In terms of connectivity, Pixelbook Go is equipped with a 3.5mm headphone jack and two USB-C 3.1 ports for charging and display output. It has no Thunderbolt 3 support which poses a problem in speed when it comes to filing transfer.
Google Pixelbook Go has a simple operating system that centers around the Chrome browser, a RAM of 8GB and 128GB SSD which Is rather too low to handle many workloads yet it performs well with multi-tasking. It has no fingerprint sensor or any form of biometric authentication which can be overlooked due to its sleek look and sustainable battery life of about 12 hours with fast charging capacity.
CPU/GPU: 8th generation Intel Core i5-8220Y dual-core/ Intel UHD Graphics 615 300 MHz.
Operating System: Chrome OS
Memory: 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
Display: 13-inch screen size with a display resolution of 1920×1080 pixels.
Weight: 2 pounds
Ports: 2×USB-C 3.0, 3.5mm headphone jack
- Good to Go: Pixelbook Go lets you stay unplugged for up to 12 hours, so you don’t need to carry a charger. And when you do need a charge, get up to 2 hours of use in just 20 minutes so you can keep going.
- CPU/GPU: 8th generation Intel Core i5-8220Y dual-core/ Intel UHD Graphics 615 300 MHz.
- Operating System: Chrome OS
- Memory: 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD
- Display: 13-inch screen size with a display resolution of 1920×1080 pixels.
5. SAMSUNG CHROMEBOOK PLUS
Samsung Chromebook Plus paves its way through with an amazing build and great features. It comes with a built-in pen that can be used for taking notes, sketching, unlocking the screen, and taking screenshots. The device has a weight of 2.38 pounds making it very portable. Aside from being light, it also runs a couple of apps that can be found on the phone which makes it easy to install games and entertainment apps as well. After a long day of note-taking, you definitely need fun.
The display quality is so appealing, it offers an incredible quad HD display with a screen size of 12 inches and a resolution of 2400×1600 pixels with a touch screen panel. It is a 2-in-1 laptop with stylus support. The touchpad is very responsive and easy to handle while running tasks. Samsung Chromebook Plus is powered by an Intel Core m3 7Y30 processor, it has a memory of 4GB RAM DDR3 and a hard drive of 64GB.
CPU/GPU: Intel Core m3 7Y30 processor/ Intel HD Graphics
Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3, 64GB Flash memory solid state.
Operating System: Chrome OS
Display: 12-inch screen size with a display resolution of 2400×1600 pixels.
Weight: 2.38 pounds
Battery: 2-cell 39 Wh Li-ion
Ports: One headphone/Microphone Combo, Multi-media card reader, 2 USB-C.
- LIGHTWEIGHT 2 in 1 DESIGN At just under 3 pounds, the Chromebook Plus is lightweight. Easily fold it into tablet mode for comfortable viewing and browsing
- CPU/GPU: Intel Core m3 7Y30 processor/ Intel HD Graphics
- Memory: 4GB RAM DDR3, 64GB Flash memory solid state.
- Operating System: Chrome OS
- Display: 12-inch screen size with a display resolution of 2400×1600 pixels
- Weight: 2.38 pounds
Conclusively, laptops with stylus support are an answered prayer for note-taking. A combination of notable features possessed by the list of laptops discussed here places them on the scale of best laptops for note-taking. Whatever your choice may be, be on the lookout for portability, stylus support, battery life, and superb display quality.